Bowling Green State University - School Of Arts
Established in 1910 as a teacher-training institution, Bowling Green held its first classes in 1914, but it was not until the following year that the first two buildings - now University Hall and Williams Hall - were ready for use. Student enrollment for that initial year totaled 304, with a faculty of 21.The first bachelorâ€™s degrees were awarded in 1917.
In 1929, the functions of Bowling Green were expanded to provide four year degree programs in the College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts. The College of Business Administration and graduate programs were added in 1935, the year in which Bowling Green attained full university status. In 1947, the Graduate School was formed, and BGSU awarded its first doctoral degree in English in 1963.
Beginning in 1946, extension programs of the University were offered in Sandusky, Ohio. During the next two decades, course offerings there were expanded and in 1965 a regional campus of the University was established to serve Erie, Huron, and Ottawa counties. That campus is now Firelands College, located in Huron, Ohio. Firelands College, which opened f...
[ Read All ]