Established in 1878 as the Georgia Baptist Female Seminary, the institution became Brenau College in 1900 when Dr. H.J. Pearce purchased the campus. "Brenau," derived from German and Latin, means "refined gold." Brenau was privately owned until 1911 when a board of trustees assumed stewardship of the college, as is still the case today. In 1928 Brenau created a female, residential, college-preparatory school, grades 9 through 12. And in the early 1970s, Brenau began offering evening and weekend classes to both men and women.
The institution is led by Dr. Ed Schrader, its ninth president, who has held the position since January 2005. In March of 1992, the board of trustees voted to convert the college to a university.
Today Brenau University includes the Academy, the oldest residential preparatory school for girls in the state of Georgia; the Womenâ€™s College, which offers traditional liberal arts education including more than 30 majors, as well as one of two occupational therapy programs in the state; and the Evening and Weekend College, which offers bachelorâ€™s, masterâ€™s and Specialist in Education degre...
[ Read All ]