The School was founded in 1748 by the town of Reims. Its aim: To give some light to industry.
Reims School of Art & Design ("ESAD") took over from that former Institution, and 250 years later it still attaches the same importance to the Art/Industry relation, especially through the teaching of Design and Multimedia.
The ESAD of Reims is a school operated by the City of Reims and put under the educational supervision of the French ministry of Culture and Communication.
The ESAD in figures:
- 200 students
- 36 teachers
- 15 technicians, assistants and administrative staff
Reims School of Art & Design trains artists and designers over a period of three years (diplomas equivalent to Bachelor level) and five years (equivalent to Master level). The School is a privileged place for creative research and experimentation, open to the realities of contemporary art and design. The aim is to enable each student to determine his / her own way as a creator in the fields of design, scenography, graphics, multimedia and art.
Sample Student Art Work (9)
Click on the images to enlarge
Location and Getting there
The ESAD is located two minutes from the Reims Cathedral, and 7 minutes from the railway station; From the outer suburbs of Paris: 60 minutes from Paris by motorway, and 45 minutes from Paris by the high-speed train.
Department and information about the department
The ESAD consists in 3 departments:
- Dept. of Product / Spatial design
- Dept. of Graphic Design & Multimedia
- Dept. of Contemporary Art.
Educational methods are organised around the command of techniques and around experimentation and research through five teaching units:
- Fundamental subjects
- Graphic design and multimedia
- Theoretical subjects
- Spatial / Product design
- Specialisations in art, product & spatial design, graphic design & multimedia, which are constantly nourished by cross-disciplinary practice and communal exercises.
- Regular confrontations with other practices through visiting teachers and artists (workshops), conferences and study trips.
- A policy of international exchange, both in Europe and outside Europe.
- A will to anticipate the design of the future with eco-design.
- A commitment of the students and a way of making them aware of their responsibilities in the collective life, and a great collective ritual: the â€śCrazy Weekâ€ť.
- Partnerships within the curriculum, with the rich cultural environment of the City of Reims: The Champagne-Ardenne Contemporary Ar... [ Read All ]
Academic Staff and Description
ESAD's teachers are professionals in art and design engaged both in their teaching and in their professional practice as creators.
Studies are marked by national diplomas equivalent to the Bachelor grade:
The â€śDNAPâ€ť, a three-year general art degree with concentrations in Art or Design.
The artistic approach and the acquisition of tools accounts for a major part of the curriculum in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years.
Information For Postgraduates
Studies are marked by national diplomas equivalent to the Master grade:
The "DNSEP", a five-year degree, with concentrations in Art or Design.
The 4th and 5th years are based upon the personal project of the student, and upon his / her exposure to the world of work (visiting artists and lecturers, thematic workshops, work placements).
Information For International Students
Nearly 10% of ESAD's students are coming from abroad: China, Australia, Russia, South Korea...
International students are more than welcome, and often come within the framework of the European Erasmus programme. ESAD has more than a dozen bilateral agreements with European partner Institutions plus extra-European Schools such as Central Academy of Fine Arts (Beijing - China), Bezalel Academy (Jerusalem - Israel), National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad - India)...