Escuela De Arte Francisco Alcantara
The Escuela de Arte Francisco Alcantara was founded in 1911 by Francisco Alcantara Jurado, an innovator in pedagogy linked to the most progressive movements of the day. He was also a prestigious art critic, teacher and painter who dedicated a great part of his life to reviving the ceramic tradition, an interest that culminated in the founding of this school.
The first location for the school was in Fernando el Catolico, 12 in the old San Bernadino asylum. In 1914 it was moved to 'Tinaja', home of the old ceramics factory and school of the brothers Zuloaga.
In 1920 Francisco Alcantara consolidated his project for a ceramics school by signing an agreement with the Council of Madrid and Secretary of Education and the Fine Arts. In 1984 this collaboration came to an end and the Escuela de Arte Francisco Alcantara separated its official study programme from that offered by the Escuela Municipal de Ceramica, continuing to adapt itself to the modern educational system nevertheless.
The school is situated in the beautiful Oeste park on the new Pasillo Verde gardens. It is located beside the old L...
[ Read All ]