It took a century and a quarter for Erie's classrooms to reach the ridge crowning the city. In 1926, Mercyhurst College opened its doors on a wind-swept hill overlooking Lake Erie, just a few blocks away from the city's southern boundary. Today, the college is in its 79th year after being founded by the Sisters of Mercy of the Erie Catholic Diocese, who were led by Mother M. Borgia Egan, first president of Mercyhurst College. The heritage of Mercyhurst, however, can be traced back to Mother Catherine McAuley, who founded the Sisters of Mercy in Dublin, Ireland.
From its roots on 75 acres of farmland on the bluffs overlooking Lake Erie to Mercyhurst's modern campus, the college has undergone dynamic change. Today Mercyhurst covers six blocks and is the largest piece of unbroken real estate in Erie. More importantly, Mercyhurst has emerged as a major force in the educational landscape of the region, while remaining true to its mission as a private Catholic liberal arts college in the Mercy tradition.
From the beginning, Mother Borgia was determined to make Mercyhurst the "beauty spot in the diocese of E...
[ Read All ]