Moholy-Nagy University Of Art And Design
The Hungarian Royal Institute of Arts and Crafts opened its doors on November 14th 1880 with its first class, the carving workshop. The Institute belonged to the Hungarian Royal School of Model Drawing and Teacher Training â€“ a predecessor of the University of Fine Arts â€“ founded in 1870. The institution was placed into the (former) Music Academyâ€™s building on AndrĂˇssy Avenue. In the 1880s and 90s, a number of new classes were added: model drawing, metalwork, wood engraving, decorative painting, copper engraving, statuette sculpting and decorative sculpting. Starting from the academic year 1887/88, a 2-year preparatory course was added, thus extending the 3-year training program to 5 years.
Due to the growing number of students and broadening range of educational activities and after having moved several times, the institution finally received its worthy residence alongside the Museum of Arts and Crafts, in a palace designed by Ă–dĂ¶n Lechner and Gyula PĂˇrtos. The school became an independent institution, performing successfully at public exhibitions, e.g. at the millennial exhibition of H...
[ Read All ]