Southern Methodist University - Meadows School Of Arts
What is now the Meadows School of the Arts began as the School of Music in 1917. It became the School of the Arts in 1964, incorporating studies in art and theatre, programs that had been a part of SMU's curriculum since its founding in 1911. In 1969, through the generosity of Algur H. Meadows, his family and the Meadows Foundation, the school was named the Algur H. Meadows School of the Arts. Mr. Meadows, a businessman from East Texas, built General American Oil Company of Texas into one of the nation's most successful independent oil and gas production companies. Believing that his own life was greatly enriched by giving, he generously shared his wealth with many charitable causes, including SMU, benefiting the people of the state that had been so kind to him.
Today, after four decades of existence, the Meadows School has achieved prominence as one of the foremost arts education institutions in the United States and offers training in an unusual mix of the artsĂ˘â‚¬â€ťvisual (art and art history), performing (dance, music and theatre) and communications (advertising, cinema-television, corporate communications and p...
[ Read All ]