1793 the Department of Architecture was founded in Vilnius University. A famous Lithuanian neo-classicism architect Laurynas Gucevičius (Gucewicz) (1753-1798) was invited to head the department and to teach in it. It was the first institution of its type in Lithuania and Poland. Later on Vilnius Fine Art School grew on its basis.
1797 the Department of Drawing and Painting was founded in Vilnius University. PranciŇ°kus Smuglevičius (Smuglewicz), the initiator of the national school of painting was its first head. Jan Rustem, a celebrated portrait painter, entered the department as an assistant professor in 1798, and in 1807, after Smuglevičius died, took over the department leadership.
1803 the Faculty of Literature and Liberal Arts was founded after the reformation of the University. The faculty introduced studies of art history. The Department of Sculpture was established the same year.
1805 the Department of Graphic Art (Engraving) was founded. All the above-mentioned departments formed the Section of Fine Arts, called Vilnius Art School. Architects, land-surveyors, pai...
[ Read All ]