Introduction - Royal University College of Fine Arts
In 1735 a school was founded for the palace decorators in connection with the architect Tessin's construction of the new royal palace. Following the French model, artists were now to be given a more theoretical education than skilled handicraft men. 1773 the Academy's building division was changed into a full architecture department.
After the founding of KTH (The Royal Institute of Technology) in 1876, basic training in architecture was transferred there and the Royal University College of Fine Arts is now instead offering further education in architecture, architectural history and restoration art.
It was not before 1870 that the Academy could move into its premises at Fredsgatan 12, having had to do with provisional arrangements until then. The house was a gift from the moldmaker, Gerhard Meyer, and "Mejan", the nickname for the college, is probably derived from his name.
A certain number of changes occurred over the years within the teaching fields and in the public and official duties, and the latter were taken over by the Royal Academy of the Arts when the Royal University College of Fine Arts became an independent college under the aegis of the Ministry of Education. In 1995 the college moved into new workshops and studios on the island of Skeppsholmen.
< Back to college profile