Introduction - Hochschule fuer Bildende Künste Dresden

The history of the Hochschule für Bildende Künste Dresden goes back several centuries. Documents show that a ‘Dresden Painting School’ was founded in 1680. Almost a century later, this school was to evolve into the Dresden Art Academy (Allgemeine Kunst-Academy), which was noted for its remarkably broad teaching programme, including subjects such as sculpture, architecture, and engraving.

Eminent artists and scholars are closely associated with the history of the Academy. Canaletto, Giovanni Casanova, Caspar David Friedrich, Gottfried Semper, Oskar Kokoschka and Otto Dix taught at the Dresden Academy and shaped its profile.

After World War II, the Dresden Art Academy was merged with another well-established local art school, Hochschule für Werkkunst Dresden, into the Hochschule für Bildende Künste.

In 1990, far-reaching reforms were initiated. As a result, the administrative structure of the Hochschule für Bildende Künste was altered significantly. Recent years saw changes to the academic profile as new subjects and courses such as digital media and art therapy were incorporated into the teaching programme.

Nationally and internationally, the Hochschule für Bildende Künste Dresden enjoys an excellent reputation, yet, by European standards, it remains a relatively small art college. Its favourable student-staff ratio creates an atmosphere conducive to personal communication and tuition and intense intellectual debate. Teaching staff include artists and academics of international standing.


< Back to college profile