Saatchi Store
Education Programme
Saatchi Magazine

How To Apply - Harvard University

To be admitted as a concentrator to the Department of Visual & Environmental Studies (VES) a student must be a currently matriculated undergraduate at Harvard College and have at least a B average. Students wishing to focus in the studio arts or film/video production must ordinarily take at least one studio or production class in the department prior to applying. Those students wishing to focus on either Film Studies or Environmental Studies should take at least one course related to their area of interest before applying, with a resident member of the VES Department.

Please refer to the department calendar for the specific dates by which to do so for the current academic year. Application forms and Plans of Study (or Change of Concentration Forms) should be dropped off with Michael Lawrence in the VES Department Office, Carpenter Center 102.

Admission to the VES concentration requires a written application for committee evaluation consisting of the Plan of Study, which must specify an intended emphasis or emphases, and previous academic record. The criteria for acceptance also include a grade point average of at least B. Additionally, the admissions committee (Honors Board) will consider evaluations submitted by faculty pertaining to a student’s performance in their VES course(s). For this reason, prospective applicants must take an introductory course (preferably related to their proposed area of focus) before applying to the department. Those proposing to emphasize Film/Video can choose from a wide variety of introductory-level studio courses in photography, video, or animated film. Those wishing to focus on the Studio Arts can choose from a wide variety of introductory-level studio courses in drawing, printmaking, painting, sculpture, and photography. Students considering a focus on Film Studies should take Literature & Arts B-11 (The Art of Film), VES 71 (Silent Cinema), or VES 72 (Sound Cinema). Those students considering a focus in Environmental Studies should consult with the Director of Undergraduate Studies or Academic Services Coordinator about an appropriate first course and subsequent Plan of Study.

For consultation about filling out a Plan of Study in VES, please schedule an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Robb Moss, Tel: (617) 496-6614; or the Academic Services Coordinator, Michael Lawrence,,Tel: (617) 496-4469. For questions about a VES concentration in Film Studies, please schedule an appointment with the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Film Studies, JD Connor,, Tel (617) 496-6799.

To download an application form visit

< Back to college profile