Permanent Collection - Kunstmuseum Stuttgart

Kunstmuseum Stuttgart's collection spans the period from the end of the 18th century to the present day. The exhibits from the 18th and 19th centuries have a notably regional flavour. Paintings from artists such as Philipp Friedrich Hetsch and Johann Baptist Seele are examples of South West German classicism, and although few in number, they are of outstanding quality. Swabian impressionism is mainly represented in the works of Otto Reiniger, Christian Landenberger and Hermann Pleuer.

Classical Modernism I:
Hölzel - Heckel – Klee

Classical Modernism II:
Dix - Winter – Baumeister

Art After 1950:
Sonderborg - Pfahler – Lüpertz

Contemporary Art:
Roth - Kosuth – Laib

Collection history

In 1924 Count Silvio della Valle di Casanova laid the foundation for the Stuttgart art collection, donating his private collection of Swabian impressionist paintings. The collection went on display in May 1925 in Villa Berg, originally constructed for the crown prince of Württemberg. In 1943 the building was unfortunately destroyed in air raids and many works of arts were lost.
It was not until 1961 that the Gallery of the City of Stuttgart found a new exhibition site in Theodor Fischer's reconstructed art building on Schlossplatz. Eugen Keuerleber, who had been curator of the municipal art collection since 1945, was appointed gallery director. He envisaged the institution - in contrast to the internationally oriented Staatsgalerie - as a museum of 19th and 20th century art from Baden-Württemberg. Keuerleber decided to concentrate on four main areas: Swabian impressionists, Adolf Hölzel and his entourage, Otto Dix, and the region's contemporary art. The world's greatest array of Dix's works remains the nucleus of the municipal art collection.
Plans to give the gallery and its growing inventory a new building of its own go back as far as the late 1970s. In 1986 Johann-Karl Schmidt was appointed director. He brought with him a new, superregional outlook. He concentrated on collecting and exhibiting contemporary artists with a connection to South West Germany by virtue of origin or place of work, particularly those of international standing such as Joseph Kosuth, Dieter Krieg, Wolfgang Laib, Markus Lüpertz, Dieter Roth and K. R. H. Sonderborg. Prominent art collections were added as permanent donations. Rudolf and Bertha Frank contributed in 1992, the Konrad Knöpfel-Stiftung Fritz Winter in 1994. In 1998 the Willi Baumeister Archives, the Stuttgart-based estate of Willi Baumeister, was promised to the new museum upon completion. The last major acquisition, under the curatorship of current director Marion Ackermann, was the Teufel collection with works of Concrete Art.




< back to Museum's profile