Permanent Collection - Musée du Dessin et de l'Estampe Originale, Gravelines

The museum is spread over four rooms, situated in the military buildings of the town’s castle.
THE POWDER ROOM
Built in 1742, this two-story room presents the permanent exhibition of the history of printing (tools, printing press, major figures), and a space reserved for temporary exhibitions, presenting the work of contemporary artists.

SALLE DU PILIER
This room is within the castle’s rampart, and dedicated to the history and patrimony of Gravelines., and presents a relief-plan of the town.

BREAD OVEN
Located in the tower to the left of the museum entrance, this ancient artillery room became a bakery in 1693.

THE ARTILLERY ROOM
Located in the tower to the right of the entrance, this room houses the reserves of the museum collection. These works can be viewed by appointment with the museum curator.
The museum operates a dynamic policy of acquisition, through purchases, donations and deposits. The collection contains 6500 prints and 1500 maps, books and photographs. This includes :
l'Apocalypse by Dürer (1471-1528)
Balzac’s masterpiece, illustrated by Picasso (1881-1973)
Books with illustrations and Lithographs by Wifredo Lam (1902-1982)
The complete engravings by Marcel Gromaire (1892-1971)
Works by Josephe Hecht, Jean-Emile Laboureur, Henry Lhotellier, Eugene Leroy, Philippe Favier and Armans.

Gravelines’ eighteenth century relief plan has been exhibited since 1995, when it was donated to the museum. Since them, the department dedicated to exhibiting the town’s history and patrimony has been in place. The relief dates fro, 1756/58, is in the scale of 1:600 and measures 4.6m x 3.7m.






< back to Museum's profile