Permanent Collection - Palacio Real de Madrid

The decoration of the Royal Palace has evolved over time in accordance with the styles prevailing at different moments. From the reign of King Charles III are the Throne Room, the King's Chamber (or Gasparini Room) and the Porcelain Room, a masterpiece produced by the Royal Factory of El Buen Retiro.
Rich materials were used for the construction and decoration: Spanish marble, gilded stucco, mahogany in doors and windows; and important works of art include frescoes by the principal artists of the period, Giaquinto, Tiepolo and Mengs, and their Spanish followers Bayeu and Maella.
From the reign of Charles IV are the Hall of Mirrors and Queen María Luisa's Plasterwork Room, while the Gala Dining Room dates from the reign of King Alfonso XII.
In addition to the rooms occupied by the Royal Family during the reign of King Alfonso XIII, the Palace also contains a select Painting Gallery with major works including the Polyptych by Juan de Flandes, Salomé by Caravaggio, The Horse by Velázquez, and several by Goya. Also on display are such notable musical instruments as the Quartet made by Stradivari for the King of Spain, and the outstanding collection of armour in the Royal Armoury.

THE THRONE ROOM
The decoration of the Throne Room has been preserved intact from the reign of King Charles III. The ceiling fresco, completed in 1766, was painted by Tiepolo; it represents the Allegory of the Spanish Monarchy, with personifications of the different Spanish possessions around the world. The carved gilt furniture and the embroidery of the velvet wall-hangings were manufactured in Naples, where Charles III had reigned previously. The mirrors, enormous for the period, are from the Royal Factory of La Granja, and the rock-crystal chandeliers were purchased in Venice in 1780. In 1650, Velázquez brought from Rome the bronze lions flanking the throne dais; originally, they were placed in the Throne Room of the Old Alcázar, which was on virtually the same site.

SURROUNDINGS
The Palace gardens are known as the Campo del Moro ("The Moor's Field"), but they originated during the reign of King Philip II. Their present appearance dates from 1890.
The square situated to the east of the Palace, and known for this reason as the Plaza de Oriente, has recently been remodelled. It contains several of the statues of the kings of Spain carved during the reign of King Ferdinand VI.

THE ROYAL ARMOURY
The Royal Armoury is considered to contain one of the most important collections of its type in the world. It displays arms and armour that belonged to kings of Spain and other members of the Royal Family, from the 13th century onwards. Apart from the mediaeval pieces, the items belonging to the Emperor Charles V and to his son King Philip II are of particular interest and value.
After a long period of restoration, the Armoury reopened to the public in June 2000.



< back to Museum's profile