Permanent Collection - Albertina

The Graphic Collection
The Albertina, whose foundation and name go back to the passionate art lover and collector Duke Albert of Saxony-Teschen (1738-1822), accommodates one of the largest and most precious graphic art collections in the world. Presently, it comprises nearly 50,000 drawings and one million prints dating from all major epochs, ranging from Late Gothic to contemporary art. The range of outstanding works spans from Leonardo, Michelangelo and Raphael through Albrecht Dürer, Rembrandt and Rubens to Lorrain, Delacroix, Manet and Cézanne. The collections of the 20th Century including the works of Schiele, Klimtand Kokoschka as well as Warhol, Rauschenberg and Baselitz distinguish the Albertina.

The Photographic Collection
The foundation of the photographic collection begun in1999 is based on the collection of the Höhere Grafische Bundeslehr- und Versuchsanstalt (Federal Education and Research Institute for Graphics), which had been primarily promoted by Josef Maria Eder. Apart from studio photography, early colour photography and pictorial works it primarily contains examples of scientific photography.
Another important part of this archive is the collection of the Langwieschepublishing house, famous for its picture books, emphasising on subject photography from the 1920’s and 30’s. The other parts of the collection document the origins of the medium up until today, focusing especially on American photography of the 1960’s and 70’s.

The Architecture Collection
The architecture collection contains almost 25.000 drafts, sketches and models; among them the estates of architects such as Francesco Borromini, Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, Adolf Loos and Lois Welzenbacher which contain a vast amount of their working documents. The core pieces of the collection are the architectural models by Otto Wagner, Le Corbusier, Mies van der Rohe and Alvar Aalto.
Adolf Loos, House Josephine Baker (Modell), Paris, 1927, Albertina Vienna
The Poster Collection

The Poster Collection
The Albertina’s poster collection encompasses holdings of different origin. The Mascha Collection was donated to the Imperial Library’s printroom in 1917 and then transferred to the Albertina after 1918. This unique collection offers a general survey of European poster art from the 19th to the early 20th centuries, with special focus on Austria-Hungary. The Paul Collection was acquired by the Albertina in 1939 and extends the latter’s comprehensive historical retrospective to the periods between the two World Wars. Less expansive, but yet significant holdings come from the Imperial Library’s own poster collection, which, just as the Mascha Collection, entered the Albertina after 1918. Following its acquisition of the Paul Collection, the Albertina has continued its collection activities in the field of posters ever since.

In detail and german:
http://gallery.albertina.at/eMuseum/code/emuseum.asp



< back to Museum's profile