Permanent Collection - Musées d'Art et Histoire de Geneve

LE MUSEE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE

Conceived as a multidisciplinary museum, the musée d’art et d’histoire houses collections in the domains of archeology, fine arts and applied arts, and offers a view of the history of civilisation, prehistory and contemporary times.

The museum’s most celebrated piece is « La Peche Miraculeuse » by Konrad Witz (1400-1445).


LA MAISON TAVEL

La maison Tavel houses over 1700 objects and works of art, ranging from household objects used in ancient kitchens, to a relief by Magnin.

LE MUSEE ARIANA

The musée Ariana is located within a superb area of greenery, and the building’s imposing architecture makes it a significant sight of its own merit. It houses 16000 ceramics, 2000 glass items, and a collection of modern and contemporary porcelain.

LE CABINET DES ESTAMPES

The Prints Cabinet was founded in 18886, when the municipal authorities decided to assemble all the engravings belonging to the city, to one location. Integrated with the Musée d’art et d’histoire in 1910, it occupies today the ancient hotel Diodati-Plantamour.

The Cabinet is among the five most important in Switzerland, and among the 50 most important in the world. Its collection is comprised of over 300,000 pieces, covering 500 years of history.

The Cabinet does not display its permanent collection, but it can be viewed by appointment. Instead, the museum shows 3 or 4 exhibitions a year, either monographic or thematic, alongside a program of events. Previous exhibitions have included the printed work of Jean Fautrier, Franz Gertsch, Urs Lüthi, Henri Michaux, Robert Morris, Robert Müller, Markus Raetz, Kurt Seligmann and Bram van Velde.


LE MUSEE RATH

The Musée Rath houses art, history, archaeology (prehistory, Egypt, Sudan, Orient, Pre-Hellenic, Greek, Erutrian, Roman), applied arts, weapons, musical instuments, textiles,porcelain and glass collections. It also houses a significant fine art collection, spanning the middle ages, the Rennaissance, Italian, Dutch, French, British and Swiss painting, contemporary arts, and scultpture.

The Musée Rath is among Switzerland’s most significant arts museums, and is the site of numerous large temporary exhibitions hosted by the Musées d’Art et d’Histoire de Geneve.

Inaugurated in 1826, this edifice, given to Geneva by Jeanne-Francoise and Henriette Rath, was conceived by the architect Samuel Vaucher as a « temple of muses », and represents french and italian tastes and architectural tendancies.

The museum exhibits international and swiss art, and has hosted over 60 exhibitions in the last ten years, including « Treausures of Islam », contemporary art shows, and retrospectives of Bram van Velde and Markus Raetz.




< back to Museum's profile