Profile - Musée d'Art Moderne et Contemporain de Strasbourg

The Musée d’Art Moderne et Contemporain (MAMCS) lies by the banks of the Ill, at the heart of Strasbourg’s historic quarter. Its collection consists predominantly of European contemporary art, from 1870 to the present.
The work of architect Adrien Fainsilber, occupying 13000m2 and offering several exhibition spaces, libraries, conference rooms, a restaurant and a boutique, the building’s design emphasises open space and visibility.
First planned in the 1960s, the museum became an independent entity in 1973 thanks to the gernerous donations of Hans Jean Arp and the Horn brothers between 1948 and 1968, and those of the Arp family who later donated several works by Hans Jean Arp and Sophie Taeuber Arp. The collection had previously been the result of donations and random legacies, but from 1973, a coherent politic of acquisition developed, and the museum was finally inaugurated in 1998.
The museums’ collection is divided into three sections (fine art, graphic art and photography), and occupies 3800m2 of hanging space, as well as an additional 1000m2 of space for temporary exhibitions.
The collection is often added to by individual collectors as well as by institutions (Musée d’Orsay, Musée National d’Art Moderne, Fonds National d’Art Contemporain). The financial support from the state as well as the Fonds Régional d’Acquisition des Musées (FRAM), allow for the regular acquisition of new art works. A partnership with Stiftung Frieder Burder in Baden-Baden permitted the purchase of several contemporary pieces between 2000 and 2002.


Fine Arts
The bases of the modern collection are owed to Hans Haug, director of the museums of Strasbourg between 1919 and 1963, who in 1923 acquired a Braque still life, and in 1943, Champ d’Avoine aux Coquelicots by Monet. Later, donations by the Horn and Arp families included works by Klee, Archipenko, Arp and Kollwitz. After 1973, the museum acquired examples of Art Povera, Fluxus and more recently, Neo-expressionism (Penck, Liipertz, Immendorff) and contemporary pieces from installation work (Alain Séchas, Claude Léveque) to painting (Daniel Richter, Marc Desgrandchamps, Jonathan Meese).

Graphic Arts and Photography
The graphic arts cabinet and the photography collection contain several thousand works. The graphic arts cabinet is predominantly composed of the Gustave Doré fund mostly acquired in 1992, a collection of 1920s posters, and a significant collection of work by German artists ranging from symbolism to expressionism.
The photography collection contains the donated collection of Charles Winter shots from the 1920s, and an important 19th century fund. The Jacqueline Rau collection, bequeathed in 1992, and contemporary photography since 1980 (Witkin, Mapplethorpe, Molinier).




< back to Museum's profile