Profile - Galleria dell'Accademia, Venezia

L'Accademia di Belle Arti di Venezia was founded in 1750 by the Venetian Senate as Venice’s school of painting, sculpture, and architecture. In Vencie, it is is uniformly known as the Accademia and mainly as a museum. Installed as its first president was Giambattista Piazzetta, with other advisors Giambattista Pittoni and Gianmaria Morlaiter. The aim was to replicate official institutions which had existed for many years in other major artistic centers including Rome (Accademia di San Luca), Milan, and Bologna (Accademia Clementina). It was one of the first institutions to study art restoration starting in 1777 with Pietro Edwards, and formalized by 1819 as a course. Among teachers at the Academy in past and modern times were Tiepolo, Hayez, Nono, Ettore Tito, Arturo Martini, Alberto Viani, Carlo Scarpa, Afro, Santomaso, and Emilio Vedova.

The Accademia was renamed the Accademia Reale di Belle Arti and moved to its present premises in 1807 by order of the Napoleonic occupying forces. This administration had disbanded many institutions in Venice including some churches, convents and Scuole. The Scuola della Carità, the Convento dei Canonici Lateranensi and the church of Santa Maria della Carità thus became the home of the Accademia. The Scuola della Carità was the oldest of the six Scuole Grande and the building dates back to 1343, though the scuola was formed in 1260. The Convento dei Canonici Lateranensi was started in 1561 by Palladio, though it was never fully completed. The facade of Santa Maria della Carità was completed in 1441 by Bartolomeo Bon.

Le Gallerie dell’Accademia di Venezia presentano la più importante e completa raccolta di pittura veneziana dal ‘400 alla fine del Settecento del mondo, riunita in seguito alle soppressioni di edifici
religiosi e pubblici effettuate da Napoleone, ed integrate successivamente da lasciti, donazioni ed acquisti. Importanti ristrutturazioni e la costruzione dei grandi saloni, avvenute nell’800, hanno permesso di creare un raccordo tra gli edifici che la compongono, il cosiddetto Complesso della Carità: il convento dei canonici lateranensi, progettato nel 1561 da Andrea Palladio, la chiesa della Carità, ricostruita da Bartolomeo Bon tra il 1441 e il 1452, e la Scuola della Carità, la più antica delle confraternite veneziane, fondata nel 1262.



< back to Museum's profile