Profile - Koroska Gallery of Fine Arts

The Koroška Gallery of Fine Arts is a museum of modern and contemporary fine art. It exists to collect, preserve, present, and interpret the best of contemporary and modern art for the purpose of enriching people's lives through aesthetic and learning experience.
The opening of the first fine art exhibition in the premises of the former town hall in Slovenj Gradec was held in 1956, but the Koroška Gallery of Fine Arts was not officially established until 1957. In 1975, the gallery premises expanded to its present-day extent (some 1000 square metres of exhibition space). Thus the gallery attained the potential for serious museum work and presentation of collections acquired as a result of the gallery’s exhibitory policy, donations and purchases.
The story of the gallery and its collections has been closely associated with painter Karel Pečko. He was among the initiators for the founding of the gallery and its head until 1996. It was quite early (in 1966) that the management of the gallery decided to organise ambitious international exhibitions, and this has remained its characteristic feature to date. Several exhibitions were organised under the honorary patronage of the United Nations. In 1989, the Secretary-General Perez de Cuellar bestowed the title of Peace Messenger City on Slovenj Gradec for its longstanding activities and the culture of peace, owing in large part to the work of the Koroška Gallery. Today, the gallery pursues its distinct mission and a vision for future development, and it has a collection worthy of recognition.
The gallery has collaborated with institutions at home and abroad, resulting in resounding international exhibitions, both in the past and today, such as Border Spaces by photographer Inge Morath (in the framework of the Graz–European Cultural Capital project) and the To Live international exhibition, which was part of the 18th Conference of Peace Messenger Cities held in 2005 in Slovenj Gradec.

The gallery’s exhibitory policy has attracted numerous acclaimed artists to show their works there with pleasure. Domestic and guest curators have realised their ideas of conceptual and thematic exhibitions in the gallery; on the other hand, the gallery has offered its space to comprehensive exhibitions of individual artists and groups. Apart from the exploration of heritage it has also promoted young artists. Its activities have widened knowledge and recognition in the domain of visual creation, enriched the immediate and wider surroundings, and established a recognisable cultural space.




< back to Museum's profile