San Francisco

United States



Address:


Website: www.deyoungmuseum.org

De Young Museum

Founded in 1895 in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, the de Young Museum has been an integral part of the cultural fabric of the city and a cherished destination for millions of residents and visitors to the region for over 100 years.

On October 15, 2005, the de Young Museum re-opened in a state-of-the-art new facility that integrates art, architecture and the natural landscape in one multi-faceted destination that will inspire audiences from around the world. Designed by the renowned Swiss architecture firm Herzog & de Meuron and Fong & Chan Architects in San Francisco, the new de Young provided San Francisco with a landmark art museum to showcase the museum’s priceless collections of American art from the 17th through the 20th centuries, and art of the native Americas, Africa, and the Pacific.


Permanent Collection

American Painting
The de Young houses one of the finest collections of American paintings in the United States. Strengthened by the acquisition of the Rockefeller Collection of American Art, the de Young's treasures include more than 1000 paintings that represent a spectrum of American art from colonial times through the twentieth century.
American Sculpture & Decorative Art

American Sculpture & Decorative Art
From the recent acquisition of Zig V, a major work by the great American sculptor David Smith to the fine Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie School Tree of Life window, the de Young's collection in American craft and sculpture is of growing importance.
African Art

African Art
The de Young's African art collection features work from many areas of sub-Saharan Africa, and showcases some of the oldest and most diverse traditions in art. This collection is growing rapidly, and the addition of stellar pieces like a terracotta Yoruba lidded pot from Nigeria, a power figure from Zaire and a Makonde helmet mask from Mozambique are enhancing the de Young's reputation in this area.
Oceanic Art

Oceanic Art
The Oceanic collections were charter collections of the de Young Museum, their nucleus being formed in 1894 at the California Midwinter Fair.
The Jolika Collection of New Guinea Art

The Jolika Collection of New Guinea Art
The de Young is home to over 400 masterworks of New Guinea art from the incomparable Jolika Collection of Marcia and John Friede of New York. This large and encyclopedic collection of rare objects with tremendous provenance is currently one of the finest collections anywhere in the world, rivaling the great museums of Europe and Australi...+ [ Read all ]


Exhibitions

Elliot Anderson: Average Landscapes
January 13, 2007 — May 20, 2007
Connections Gallery

American Modernism

American Modernism, 1910–1950
January 27, 2007 — May 20, 2007
In conjunction with Charles Sheeler: Across Media

Elegant Distortions

Elegant Distortions
March 3, 2007 — June 10, 2007
In conjunction with Vivienne Westwood: 36 Years in Fashion

Oropollo

Guise: Recent Prints by Deborah Oropallo
March 17, 2007 — September 16, 2007

Shi Guorui

Shi Guorui: Reproduction and Refashioning
May 26, 2007 — September 23, 2007
CONNECTIONS GALLERY

Nan Kempner

Nan Kempner: American Chic
June 16, 2007 — November 11, 2007

Sugimoto

Hiroshi Sugimoto
July 7, 2007 — September 23, 2007



The Sculpture of Louise Nevelson: Constructing a Legend
October 27, 2007 — January 13, 2008




Cost

Adults $10, Seniors 65 and over $7, Youths 13-17 $6, College Students with ID $6, Children 12 and under FREE.

Admission tickets to the de Young may be used on the same day for free entrance to the Legion of Honor.

First Tuesday of each month FREE. Special exhibition fees, if any, still apply.

Muni riders with Fast Pass or transfer receive a $2 discount.


Opening hours

Tuesday through Sunday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., Fridays until 8:45 p.m. (selected galleries open 5 to 8:45 p.m.)

Closed January 1, Thanksgiving Day, and December 25

The museum closes at 4 p.m. on December 24 and 31.


Getting there

Driving and Parking



Map it!
With a little help from Google Maps, get a zoomable map of the area, door-to-door directions, and more!



The de Young is located at 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Cross streets are John F. Kennedy Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.

Driving Directions
From the North Bay/Golden Gate Bridge
From the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza take the 19th Ave/Park Presidio Blvd exit and proceed through the tunnel onto Park Presidio Blvd. Go two miles to Cabrillo St. Turn right on Cabrillo, then right again on 14th Ave. Proceed one block north to Balboa St., turn right. Proceed across Park Presido Blvd. to 8th Ave. For surface access to the de Young, turn right onto 8th Ave. across Fulton St. to JFK Dr. For direct access to the Concourse parking facility, turn right on Fulton St. and then left on 10th Ave.

From the South Bay/I-280 North
At Daly City, take Route 1 North toward 19th Ave./Golden Gate Bridge. Go five miles on 19th Ave. through Golden Gate Park and make a right onto Fulton St. Turn right on 10th Ave. for access to the Concourse parking facility, continue two blocks to 8th Ave. and turn right into the park.

From the East Bay/I-80 West
Weekdays: Continue on I-80 through San Francisco for about one mile and then bear right, following signs for Golden Gate Bridge/US101 North. Follow signs for Octavia St. and Fell St.; freeway ends at Market St. Cross Market St. and go four blocks and make a left turn onto Fell St. Go 1.5 miles on Fell St. For access to the Music Concourse Parking Facility: Just beyond Shrader St. bear right and make a right turn onto Stanyan St. Go two bloc...+ [ Read all ]


Facilities

Concourse Parking Facility
Parking for cars and bicycles is available in the Concourse parking facility. Access to the north entrance is from Fulton St. at 10th Ave. Access to the south entrance is at Concourse Dr. and Martin Luther King Dr. inside the park. The Concourse parking facility is open seven days a week year-round and parking in the garage is encouraged.

Hours and rates:
Monday–Friday 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m. ($2.50/hour)
Weekends 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m. ($3.00/hour)

Limited parking is available on John F. Kennedy Drive and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. JFK Drive is closed on Sundays.


Museum internal and external photos (1)

Click on the images to enlarge



Education

College Students
College Students


More Information
Museum Ambassadors
415-750-3521
mbeyer@famsf.org
College Self-Visit Reservation Form





Group Tours for College Classes
Visit the Museums' permanent collection galleries and special exhibitions for a discounted admission fee. Docent-led tours must be arranged four weeks in advance. Tours are 45 minutes long. Call 415-750-3528 or e-mail cinaba@famsf.org.

Groups are welcome to self-tour the museum. These visits can be arranged two weeks in advance. Use the College Self-Visit Request Form, call 415-750-3528, or e-mail cinaba@famsf.org for more information.

The Museums' collection of works on paper (prints, drawings, photographs, books) is also accessible for classes of up to 20 students to engage with works from the permanent collection. Object selection and class sessions are coordinated by a curator in the department. Please call 415-750-7626 or e-mail lsiddons@famsf.org for an appointment.

Private tours of the permanent collection are offered to college groups in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, and Cantonese on a limited basis. These tours must arranged four weeks in advance. Call 415-750-3528 or e-mail cinaba@famsf.org.

Sketching in the Galleries
Sketching with pencil on an 9" x 12" or smaller hand-held pad is allowed without special permission during regular museum hours. Special permission must be obtained if using easels or large pads. Permission to sketch can be granted only for objects belonging to the Fine Arts Museums. Call 415-750-3528 or e-mail cinaba@famsf.org.

Education Department Internships
1) Resource Center for Education
The Resource Center for Ed...+ [ Read all ]