Rouen

France



Address:
1 rue Faucon
Rouen
Phone: +33 2 35 07 31 74
Website: www.rouen-musees.com

Musée De La Céramique De Rouen

The Ceramics Museum of Rouen was constituted from the collection of André Pottier (1799-1867), the author of l'Histoire de la faïence de Rouen. Installed, provisionally, in a cloisters gallery of the Sainte-Marie convent (which also housed the Musée des Antiquités de la Seine-Inférieure) in 1870, the museum was inaugurated on 15 August, 1864.

The municipal ceramics and porcelain collection remained there until February 1888, when they were transferred to the first floor of the Musée des Beaux Arts. Since the 1930s, Rouen had planned for the establishment of a Ceramics museum to compensate for the problematic lack of space for the collection, due to its consistent enrichment from donations and acquisitions.

The hotel d’Hocqueville , built in 1657 and redecorated in the eighteenth century was acquired for this purpose in 1936, but it took another fifty years for the project to come to fruition. The collection of ceramics was finally transferred to the new museum in 1984.


 Permanent Collection Highlights (4)

 Click on the images to enlarge



Permanent Collection

The collection is composed of around 6000 ceramics, from simple tiles to monumental busts, and of which a third originate from the Rouen region. This part of the collection is displayed in a monographic exhibition.

The museum offers the visitor a complete historical and aesthetic discovery of ceramics and porcelain, by describing the first porcelain production by Masséot Abaquesne in the middle of the sixteenth century, followed by that of Edme Poterat which began in1647.

Collection highlights include:

Poterat family plate, Rouen, Edme Poterat, 1647
Froulay de Tessé jug, Rouen, 1725
Plate, le Batonnet et la Charrue, Rouen, 1725
Celestial sphere, Le Coq de Villeray, Rouen, 1725




Cost

Full price €2.30
Concessions €1.55
Free admission for under 18 year olds and job seekers


Opening hours

Open from 10am to 1pm and from 2pm to 6pm

Open every day except Tuesdays

Closed on 1 January, 1 May, 8 May, 14 July, 15 August, 1 November, 11 November, 25 December


Getting there

Buses 4, 8, 11 and 13 serve the museum, as well as the Métrobus stops Gare SNCF and Palais de Justice




Museum internal and external photos (3)

Click on the images to enlarge



Education

The museum offers family days and commentated tours in parallel with the exhibitions.
Please contact musees@rouen.fr for information.