Annecy

France



Address:
Place du Chateau
Annecy
74000
Phone: + 33 (0) 4 50 33 87 30
Fax: + 33 (0) 4 50 33 00 84

Musée-Chateau D'Annecy

Classed as a historic monument in 1902, the Château d’Annecy was the residence of the Counts of Geneva until 1394. Several changes to the building in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries have resulted in its unique appearance, a synthesis of the defensive Medieval architecture and elegant Renaissance style. Abandoned in the eighteenth century, it was used as military barracks until 1947. It was bought by the town of Annecy in 1953, and the first exhibition took place there three years later.


Permanent Collection

The museum presents both a rich permanent collection and diverse temporary exhibitions. The collection is made of objects of local history and archaeology, medieval sculptures, and 18th, 19th and 20th century painting.

Since the 1980s, the museum has invested itself in contemporary art, and has a particular interest in artists exploring their relationship with their natural environment. The collection of contemporary art has enriched itself considerably over the years, and includes pieces by Nils Udo, Gina Pane, Bill Culbert, Fabrice Hyber, Giuseppe Penone, Keith Sonnier and Peter Hutchinson.

The museum also plays an active role in Annecy’s International Animation Film Festival, and has hosted exhbitions of the work of William Kentridge and Robert Breer in parallel with this.

The Musée-Château d’Annecy’s collection includes

fine arts
contemporary art
an animation cinema
natural sciences
ethnology
archaeology


Exhibitions

9 March – 17 June 2007

An exhibition of contmporary artist DU ZHENJUN, entitled « Ni dedans / ni dehors »

(« Neither inside / nor outside »), in parallel with the International Film Animation Festival which runs from the 12 – 17 June.


Exhibitions (1)

Click on the images to enlarge





Cost

4.80€ full price / 1.80€ concessions


Opening hours

1 October – 31 May : open every day except Tuesday, from 10am – 12pm and 2pm -5pm.

Closed on 1 May.

1 June – 30 September : open every day from 10.30am -6pm, including bank holidays.






Museum internal and external photos (1)

Click on the images to enlarge