Sevilla

Spain



Address:
Plaza del Museo, 9
Spain
41001
Phone: +34 954 78 65 00
Fax: + 34 954 78 64 90
Website: www.museosdeandalucia.es

Museo De Bellas Artes De Sevilla

The Museum of Fine Arts, Sevilla, was established as a \"Museum to display paintings\", by Royal Decree on 16 September 1835, with objects from convents and monasteries seized by the liberal government presided by Mendizábal. It is located in the Plaza del Museo, in the place of the former Convento de la Merced Calzada founded by St. Peter Nolasco on lands transferred by Ferdinand III after conquering Sevilla.

The building which we see today owes its general layout to the transformations carried out in the first decades of the 17th century thanks to the initiative of Fray Alonso de Monroy, general of the Order from 1602. In 1603, the architect and sculptor Juan de Oviedo y de la Bandera presented the plans and instructions for its construction, which was begun with the demolition of the former Mudejar building. In 1612, the temple was finished and almost half a century later, the rest of the cement works were completed, thus becoming one of the most beautiful examples of Andalusian mannerism.

Since it was set up as a museum, the building has undergone three large interventions. The first, between 1868 and 1898 involved the restoration of the arches and walls on the first floor, laying the floors of the cloisters and tiling these with tiles from the seized convents. The second, between 1942 and 1945 involved the opening of the patio de las Conchas on the site of the former vestry and the transfer of the main ancient baroque facade to calle Bailén. The third, starting in 1985 and finishing in 1993, was developed in various stages in order to completely restore the building and adapt it to the many demands of a modern exhibition space.
... [ Read all ]


 Permanent Collection Highlights (26)

 Click on the images to enlarge [ View All ] 



Permanent Collection

The museum\'s main proposal is a tour through the paintings of the Sevillian school, in addition to examples from other schools. The main tour route is decided by the building structure, as the order of the rooms determines the chronological view of the exhibition.

The Ground Floor
beginning in Hall I, contains the most ancient objects on exhibition, that is, Sevillian painting and sculpture from the 15th century, and ends in Hall V, the old convent church, currently dedicated to Murillo and the great masters who went before him in the first half of the 17th century.

The Top Floor
covers Hall VI to XIV and proposes a tour from Murillo\'s work to painting from the first half of the 20th century. On this floor, the following are worth special mention: Hall VIII, dedicated to Valdés Leal, Hall IX, dedicated to the painting of the European schools and Hall X, which exhibits exceptional examples of painting from another great master of the Sevillian school: Francisco de Zurbarán.



For the visitor who may have had some initial contact with the collection, the museum proposes a thematic tour of the great masters of the Sevillian Baroque period: Francisco de Zurbarán, Murillo and Valdés Leal.

Francisco de Zurbarán was the dominant artistic figure in Sevillian painting during the second third of the 17th century. His simple and naturalistic style, saturated with an intense spirituality, achieved great success and converted him into the favourite artist of the main religious orders. Some of the works belonging to his famous monastic cycles are exhibited, such as those of the San Pablo and Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli Dominican Convents. The impo...+ [ Read all ]




Cost

Price: 1.50 Euros
Free: European Union Citizens with corresponding proof
Students with International Student Card
Members of ICOM


Opening hours

Times
Tuesday: 14.30 to 20.30 .
Wednesday to Saturday: 9.00 to 20.30 .
Sundays and Public Holidays: 9.00 to 14.30.


Getting there

Public Transport
Urban buses: The nearest bus lines are C3 and C4
Nearby taxi ranks: Calle Marqués de Paradas, Plaza del Duque and Hotel Colón
Bus Station for inter-city buses: Plaza de Armas

Public Car Parks
Plaza de Armas and Plaza del Duque


Facilities

Services
There is a museum shop that has a wide range of articles and publications related to the contents of the museum.

Library
Use restricted to researchers. Arrange visit by calling the telephone number quoted from 11.00 -15.00 on work days.
Tel: 0034 954 22 07 90 (extension line 111)

Other installations
Restoration workshop specialising in the restoration of our own collections.


Museum internal and external photos (3)

Click on the images to enlarge