Helsinki

Finland



Address:
Kasarmikatu 24
Helsinki
00130
Phone: + 358 (0) 9 8567 5100
Website: www.mfa.fi

Museum Of Finnish Architecture

The building now housing the Museum of Finnish Architecture was constructed for the Learned Societies in 1899. The idea of a building for the Societies was kindled at the beginning of the 1890s, the site was reserved in 1896, and the drawings were made by Magnus Schjerfbeck, chief architect at the National Board of Public Building. The planned Neo-Renaissance building with a cubic central volume and two wings was not realized as such; only the central part was constructed, including library, assembly hall with gallery, studies and a monumental staircase which takes a third of the building.

Several efforts have been made to complete the building. In 1907 the library was proposed to be extended to a semi-circular annex on the courtyard side. In 1922 Schjerfbeck made a new proposal for extension, this time modifying the original wing idea. Neither plan was realized. The Learned Societies moved to the House of the Estates (Säätytalo) in 1931, and the Kasarmikatu 24 building was assigned to the Gymnastics Department of the University of Helsinki. The former assembly hall was filled with gymnastic equipment, and showers were built in the attic. When the Faculty of Sports and Health Sciences moved to Jyväskylä at the beginning of the 1970s the building was vacated. In 1981 the Museum of Finnish Architecture moved there after repairs and restorations from an old wooden villa in Puistokatu.

The latest effort of extension was the Temporary Exhibitions Hall which was to connect the two museums located on the same site, the Museum of Finnish Architecture and the Design Museum. There was an architectural competition for the hall in 1987. The winning p... [ Read all ]


Permanent Collection

The Archive of the Museum of Finnish Architecture, open to all, is specialised in modern Finnish architecture. Its collections consist of black-and-white photographs, slides, original drawings, copies of drawings, and documents.

The drawings collection includes original drawings, which are mainly acquired through donations. At present it numbers about 350 000 drawings, primarily from the 20th century. The photographic collection includes about 85 000 photos from medieval to contemporary architecture until the 1980s. Material for this collection has been acquired from periodicals, exhibitions and architects themselves. (Later picture material, mainly consisting of colour pictures, is in possession of architects or photographers.) The Museum's slide collection includes 30 000 pictures on both older and contemporary architecture. The slides are primarily meant to be loaned for lectures. The Museum also collects models.


Exhibitions

Please see http://www.mfa.fi/atmuseum for details.




Cost

Adults EUR 3.50, students EUR 1.70, children under 18 free

Special exhibitions EUR 5.00/2.50

FREE ENTRY ON FRIDAY


Opening hours

Exhibitions, bookshop
Tue, Thu-Sun 10-16, Wed 10-20.

Archive Tue-Fri 10-16.

Library Tue-Fri 10-16, Wed 10-20, Sat-Sun 12-16.


Getting there

The museum is located in central Helsinki on Kasarmikatu street going south from Esplanadi street, on the same site with the Design Museum.

The museum is easily reached on foot from the city centre. It is also reachable by tram 10 and by bus 17 (stop in front of the Design Museum).




Museum internal and external photos (1)

Click on the images to enlarge