Diekrich

Luxembourg



Address:
10, Bamertal
Diekrich
L-9209
Phone: 352 808 908
Website: www.nat-military-museum.lu

National Museum Of Military History

In 1982, a small group of military history enthusiasts and militaria collectors founded the "Dikricher Geschichtsfrenn" (Diekirch Historical Society), a non-profit organization, entirely composed of volunteers, that was to become the platform for the future Diekirch military museum. Supported by the local city authorities and the Luxembourg army, the early museum under its initial denomination of "Diekirch Historical Museum" was opened to the public in September 1984 on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the liberation of Luxembourg and the "Battle of the Bulge" (BoB) or "Ardennes Offensive". It then consisted of some 10 showrooms with large historical reconstructions and special exhibits with main focus on the dramatic and tragic events that took place in Luxembourg in December 1944-January 1945 during the Battle of the Bulge (BoB). In 1987 and 1989, additional displays and exhibition rooms were added, including the impressive large diorama depicting the "Sauer river crossing" by units of the 5th U.S. Infantry division in January 1945. After its initial success, the executives decided to create a second point of emphasis inside the museum -- the history of the Luxembourg army (opened in 1994). This section also enabled the museum to be renamed into "National Museum of Military History" by ministerial decree, which also provided for official recognition and support by key Luxembourg governmental institutions. Presently, the museum is supervised and administrated by a joint board, comprising delegates of the Diekirch Historical Society, the City of Diekirch, and the Luxembourg Government.
The heart of the museum is its working team, which so far has totaled ov... [ Read all ]


Exhibitions

The key attraction of the museum is doubtlessly its large selection of dioramas, which are all 1:1 scale mock ups of various aspects of everyday life during that crucial 1944/45 battle from a military and civilian point of view. As such, the museum features accurately-reconstructed scenes showing German and American soldiers in battlefield conditions, as well as civilians caught in the crossfire. The largest (150 square meters) and doubtlessly the most striking and dramatic diorama shows troops of Gen. Patton’s Third Army (5th U.S. Infantry Division, "Red Diamond") about to cross the icebound "Sauer river" on January 18, 1945 to liberate Diekirch. In addition, the museum also has numerous special thematic exhibits and displays of vehicles, artillery, weapons, uniforms, individual gear and equipment, as well as personal belongings of soldiers from both sides. Hundreds of authentic photographs, maps, and documents, complete the historical exhibition. This same approach applies also to the Luxembourg army section, which has a series of dioramas of key chapters in the history of the Luxembourg armed forces, as well as thematic displays. Altogether, the museum has way over 2.200 square meters of exhibition space on three levels, with additional sections being created in the years to come.




Cost

Adults €5
Children under 10 Free
Children aged 10-18 and students
Military in uniform €3
WWll veterans free
Disabled visitors free
Groups of 10 people or more €3 per person


Opening hours

From January 1 to March 31, open daily from 2pm to 6pm
From April 1 to November 1, open daily from 10am to 6pm
From November 2 to December 31, open daily from 2pm to 6pm


Getting there

From LUXEMBOURG City by car: Drive north taking directions MERSCH-ETTELBRUCK, then follow through to DIEKIRCH. the museum is indicated in town by markers "Musée National d’Histoire Militaire" and is located about 250 meters from the church in direction of CLERVAUX. Average driving time from LUXEMBOURG is about 50 minutes.
From LUXEMBOURG City by CFL train : There are CFL trains on the one hour schedule from LUXEMBOURG train station to ETTELBRUCK. From ETTELBRUCK station, trains or buses continue on the half-hour schedule to DIEKIRCH. Trains and buses stop at DIEKIRCH train station, From there, the museum is about a 10-minutes’ walk through the center of town, passing the church. Several buses stop in front of the church, a 2-minutes’ walk from the museum. CFL train schedules can be consulted at: www.cfl.lu/f/rail/horairesen.htm




Museum internal and external photos (6)

Click on the images to enlarge



Education

Guided tours available by reservation only, please contact the museum at least two weeks prior to visiting.