Donostia-San Sebastián

Spain



Address:
Plaza Zuloaga , 1
Gipuzkoa
20003
Phone: (34) 943-481580
Fax: (34) 943-481581
Website: www.santelmomuseoa.com

San Telmo Museum

San Telmo Museum, The Municipal Museum of San Sebastián, was founded in 1902, although since 1932 it has been housed in the former Dominican convent of San Telmo, built mid 16th Century. Part of the convent was declared a National Monument in 1913.
The City Council turned it into a Municipal Museum in 1932, when it was refurbished by the architects Juan Alday and Francisco Urcola, who built the neo-Renaissance façade and other rooms.
The Museum comprises the following section: Archaeology, Fine Arts, Ethnography and History. The collection of arms and discoid steles, amongst others, are of outstanding quality.
The museum is now closed because of the rehabilitation and enlargement project's works, and will reopen in 2010 as a museum about the basque society.


Permanent Collection

At the moment, the Museum is undergoing a museological and architectural renovation to turn it into a cultural facility befitting the requirements of modern-day society, while also catering to the new trends in international museology. We apologize because it can not be visited now.






Opening hours

Museum closed until 2010


Getting there

By Bus
The museum is located in a centrical pedestrian area, but most public buses (5-8-9-13-16-25-26-28) stop in the Boulevard, a few minutes walk from San Telmo.




Museum internal and external photos (8)

Click on the images to enlarge