College Of Saint Elizabeth
Founded in 1899 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, the College of Saint Elizabeth is the first permanent four-year liberal arts college for women to be established under either public or private auspices in the State of New Jersey, and is among the first Catholic colleges in the United States to grant degrees to women.
The College of Saint Elizabeth was formally opened on September 11, 1899, with Sister Mary Pauline Kelligar as its first president. The freshman class included six members, one from New Jersey, one from Illinois, one from New York and three from Massachusetts. Four members of the class were graduates of the Academy of Saint Elizabeth, located on the campus of the newly established college.
Incorporated under the New Jersey State law on May 29, 1900, the College granted its first baccalaureate degrees on June 18, 1903. There were four women in this first class: Mary Ennis, Esther Kenna, Blanche Maskell and H. Seton McCabe.
From its origin to the present, the College has been a distinctly Catholic institution of higher education, welcoming students and employees ...
[ Read All ]