De Montfort University is a dynamic organisation, formed from a diverse range of specialist institutions. Its long history of excellent teaching, learning and research is founded in the technical and trade education of the late 19th Century. The name itself is associated with Simon De Montfort, Earl of Leicester, a distinguished figure in English history and widely credited with establishing the first parliament in 1265.
Prior to 1992, De Montfort University was known as Leicester Polytechnic which was created in 1969 through the amalgamation of Leicester College of Technology and Leicester College of Art. The polytechnic was established as a corporation in 1989.
In 1992, following the official opening of the Milton Keynes campus by HM the Queen, De Montfort University was born. Mergers have in the past taken place with Bedford College of Higher Education, Lincolnshire College of Art and Design and Lincolnshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture in 1994. In 1995, the University merged with Charles Frears College of Nursing and Midwifery.
In 2001 the Lincolnshire campuses merged with ...
[ Read All ]
Welcome to Art and Design
We excel in creativity and innovation, training highly employable graduates to work for some of the most prestigious international companies.
We offer 22 different art and design subjects including:
* Contour Fashion - the only course in the world to specialise in lingerie, underwear, bodywear, swimwear and performance sportswear.
* Footwear Design - the only course of its kind in the UK.
* Product Design - as seen on BBC TV's Innovation Nation.
* Fine Art and Architecture - studied in Leicester for over 100 years.
The Faculty of Art and Design has close links with industry, a strong international focus and is highly active in research and commercial projects worldwide. Please contact us for further information on any of our activities at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information For Undergraduates
* Foundation Studies in Art and Design
* Animation Design
* Architectural Design Technology and Production
* Clothing with Design
* Contour Fashion
* Dance and Photography and Video (Joint)
* Design Crafts
* Design Management and Innovation
* Design Management and Innovation and Fashion Design (Joint)
* Design Management and Innovation and Interactive Design (Joint)
* Design Management and Innovation and Interior Design (Joint)
* Design Management and Innovation and Furniture Design (Joint)
* Design Management and Innovation and Product Design (Joint)
* Fashion Design
* Fashion and Contour Design
* Fashion Technology
* Film Studies and Photography and Video (Joint)
* Fine Art
* Footwear Design
* Furniture Design
* Game Art Design
* Graphic Design
* Graphic Design and Illustration
* Graphic Design and Photography
* Industrial Design
* Interactive Design
* Interior Design
* Media Studies and Photography and Video (Joint)
* Photography & Video
* Product... [ Read All ]
Information For Postgraduates
Welcome to art and design postgraduate study The Faculty of Art and Design specialises in innovation and creativity.
Our aim is to challenge prejudices in art and design, to educate students to be highly employable, and to raise expectations and interdisciplinary perspectives.
* Architecture BArch (Hons)
* Architectural Practice PG Dip
* Design Innovation MA/MSc
* Fashion Bodywear MA
* Fine Art MA
* Photography MA/PG Dip
* Independent Study in Art and Design MA/MSc
* MPhil & PhD Research Degrees
* Course fees
* Scholarships and Bursaries:
o Faculty of Art and Design Bursaries 2007/08
o Vice Chancellor's International Scholarships 2007/08
o Alumni Scholarships 2007/08
What to find out more?
The Faculty of Art & Design hold Postgraduate Open Evenings for those interested in discussing the range of opportunities our programmes offer.
Information For International Students
The Faculty welcomes international students, and has a longstanding reputation for providing world-class postgraduate art and design education. We currently attract students from over 35 countries worldwide, which includes places as diverse as China, India, Japan, Kenya, Russia and Jordan.
Whether you are a student coming straight from college or school, a mature student with commitments, or an overseas student, university life can be a bit of a culture shock. To help you with the changes and challenges you face, Student Services has trained and dedicated staff who can offer specialist advice and support tailored to meet your needs. Our aim is to ensure that you have a rewarding time and enjoy to the fullest the great rewards of university life. We look forward to meeting you.
Visit us (open days)
Undergraduate Open Days
An opportunity for prospective students, their parent's, partners and tutors to visit the campus, meet staff and current students informally and tour the studios, workshops and facilities.