Hardin Simmons University
Hardin-Simmons University was founded as Abilene Baptist College in 1891 by the Sweetwater Baptist Association and a group of cattlemen and pastors who sought to bring Christian higher education to the Southwest. The original land was donated to the university by Rancher C.W. Merchant. The college was renamed Simmons College in 1892 in honor of an early contributor, James B. Simmons. In 1925, it became Simmons University. It was once again renamed to Hardin-Simmons University in 1934 in honor of Mary and John G. Hardin who were also major contributors. 
The University has been associated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas since 1941. Its students come from diverse backgrounds and a variety of Christian denominations. With an approximate enrollment of 2,300, the student-teacher ratio is 14:1.
A fully accredited university, Hardin-Simmons offers six undergraduate degrees with 70 majors, and seven graduate degrees with 18 programs.