Permanent Collection - The David Collection

The David Collection closed on May 1st 2006, but will re-open in May 2009, welcoming you a renovated, rearranged, and hopefully recognisable museum.

The new and improved museum will have an Islamic collection that has doubled in size and a European collection which is more compact as the area has been reduced. A part of C.L. David’s own collection of contemporary art from the 20th century will be exhibited with works among others by the Danish painters Wilhelm Hammershøi and J.F. Willumsen.

About the David Collection

The David Collection was founded by Christian Ludvig David (1878-1960), a barrister of the Danish High Court.

The works of fine and applied art from the 18th century, which make up the nucleus of the collection, were acquired by the founder himself. In addition, he assembled a small group of works of art from the Islamic world and a collection of Danish art from the first half of the 20th century.

On December 12th 1945, the collection and the building, which houses it, became the independent institution, the C. L. David Foundation and Collection. The actual opening was not until 1948, partly because David did not vacate the second floor until 1946, partly because the architect Ole Wanscher had to furnish a silver room on the same floor. In 1960, on the death of the founder, the Foundation became the sole heir to his fortune.

Since 1960, the exhibition space of the museum has increased significantly. The collections have continued to expand, particularly that of Islamic art.

< back to Museum's profile