Sponsorship - Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam


The Van Gogh Museum is a relatively young museum. Since it opened in 1973, it has developed into one of the world's most distinguished and popular museums. It has built a reputation based on its unique collection, its high quality exhibitions, thorough research, attractive publications, and two internationally renowned museum buildings, located in one of Europe's cultural hot-spots. The Van Gogh Museum collects and preserves Western paintings, sculptures, drawings and graphic of between 1840 and 1920. The core collection comprises much of Vincent van Gogh's oeuvre: the museum houses the largest collection of his work in the world. In addition, the museum offers a broad spectrum of 19th-century art.

This permanent collection of Van Gogh's work attracts some 1.3 million visitors a year, making it Holland's most visited museum. Its worldwide appeal is reflected in its visitors, 90 percent of whom are from abroad, from across the globe. The remaining 10 percent from Holland - around a quarter of a million - also makes the Van Gogh Museum one of the main attractions for domestic art enthusiasts. On average, the visitors are younger than those of other museums, and well-educated. An active educational programme is attracting increasing numbers of schoolchildren and groups.

The Van Gogh Museum maintains the momentum of its collection by acquiring new objects of the highest quality. The presentation of the permanent collection, temporary exhibitions, and educational programmes is constantly being adapted to meet the needs of the growing audience, and is always innovative and inspiring. These activities are supported by investment into research on Van Gogh and nineteenth-century art, which helps to preserve this heritage for the future, and to maintain its accessibility.

State subsidy and revenue from ticket sales is not sufficient to achieve the museum's goals. For this reason, the Van Gogh Museum works together with other organisations to realise projects, and enters into longer-term structural partnerships. Below is a list of our current sponsors and benefactors.

For additional information about partnerships or project sponsorship, please contact Rianne Norbart, Head of Publicity, PR and Fundraising, +31 (0)20 5705280, e-mail: norbart@vangoghmuseum.nl.

< back to Museum's profile