United States Address:
Rt. 60 East at Pocahontas Trail
Carter's Grove Plantation
Carter Grove Plantation was built for Carter Burwell. The grand style of the brick home was a major Virginian focal point during the colonial era. The slave quarters depict the cultures of both America and Africa. There is archaeological and documented evidence that the Carter Grove slaves were descendants of the slave brought from what is now know as Nigeria and Cameroon. The slave quarters were reconstructed in 1989 on original site. Interpreted during the period of 17770's - during Nathaniel Burwell's ownership. The reconstruction employed building techniques from the 18th century and was preceded by extensive research. Plantation also host the "Brother in Arms" re-enactment of the African American military experience in colonial Williamsburg.
Located on the James River, Carter's Grove has been noted primarily for its Georgian style mansion. The slave quarters were reconstructed on a series of pits found during excavations in search of 18th century sites.
Carter's Grove is currently a 750 acre Virginia plantation on the James River in the Grove Community of southeastern James City County. It was built for Carter Burwell, grandson of Robert "King" Carter and was completed in 1755. It was probably named for both the prominent and wealthy Carter family and nearby Grove Creek. Carter's Grove Plantation was built on the site of an earlier tract known as Martin's Hundred which had first been settled by the English colonists around 1620.
After hundreds of years of multiple owners and generations of families, after the death of the last resident in 1964, Carter's Grove was added to Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's properties through a gift from the Rockefeller Foundation in 1969.
Carter's Grove was open to tourists for many years, but closed its doors to the public in 2003.
On March 31, 2007 Colonial Williamsburg announced that it would be listing Carter's Grove on 400 acres with a real estate company out of Charlottesville, Virginia for the amount of $19 million. The property is being offered under specific preservation covenants.
Open to Public
Partially Handicap Accessible
Museum internal and external photos (1)
Click on the images to enlarge