The Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft was founded in 1981 by Phyllis George Brown, then First Lady of Kentucky and former Miss America. It was established to promote the rich art and craft heritage of Kentucky through three main areas of programming: exhibition, education, and the support of artists through a retail Gallery Shop.
The organization has seen artists progress from novices to masters and Main Street transform from an almost a deserted noncommercial street to the thriving business and cultural district it is today. Change aside, the organizationâ€™s commitment to preserving one of Kentuckyâ€™s most precious resources, its continuing tradition of fine craftsmanship, has remained the same. By bringing the work of nationally recognized artists to Kentucky and by bringing the work of Kentucky artists to the national scene, KMAC has been able to both preserve and advance art and craft heritage. Over the years, our educational programming has soared and its focus has continued to increase our work with under-served schools in our Education Center, Jefferson County, and throughout the state.
In January of 2001 the organization purchased two adjacent buildings at 715 and 717 West Main Street in the heart of Louisvilleâ€™s West Main Street Historic District (thanks to a successful Capital Campaign). Built in the 1880's the building is a four-story cast iron structure with a beautiful pastel facade and giant windows. After renovation, the facility provided us with 27,000 square feet of interior space in which to operate, spread over four floors and a lower level. This is an increase from the 10,000 square feet we used to occupy at 609 West Main Street. [ ]
Forthcoming exhibitionsJanuary 26, 2007:
The National Scholastic Art Awards Gold Key Winners 2006
March 3, 2007:
March 3, 2007:
The Best of Kentucky Clay
March 13, 2007:
2007 Clay National Biennial Exhibition
Opening hoursMon-Fri 10 AM - 5 PM
Sat 11 AM - 5 PM
Museum internal and external photos (6)Click on the images to enlarge