1, place de la Révolution
Phone: +33 3 81 87 80 49
Fax: +33 3 81 80 06 53

Musée Des Beaux Arts Et D'Archéologie

The Museum of Fine Arts and Archeology in Besancon constitutes the oldest municipal French collection since its original showing in 1694. Jean-Baptiste Boisot bequeathed his collections of manuscripts, printed books, medallions, 11 paintings and 4 busts from the Granvelle family to the Benedictins of the town, on the condition that they were accessible to the public twice a week. In 1843, the collections were installed in the new Market Place. Many more contributions were made to the collection in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Permanent Collection

The archeological collection is made up of objects of regional or Mediterranean origin from before the Middle Ages. One of the stronger groups of objects is a beautiful collection of Egyptian artifacts where the visitor can discover the famous sarcophagus of Seramon.
The collection of paintings offers a look at the principal trends of European art between the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 20th century – from Italian, Flemish, Dutch, and French schools, but also from Spanish, English, and German artists.
The sculpture collection is made up of works from the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the 18th century, 19th century, and two bronze sculptures from Auguste Rodin (bust of Victor Hugo and The Eternal Spring).
The drawing room holds series of sketches from Italian artists (Baroche, Carrache, Tiepolo) and northerners (Durer, Rembrandt, Rubens), along with prestigious pieces from French artists (Poussin, Vouet, Boucher, Chardin, Fragonard, Watteau, Courbet, David, Delacroix, Gericault, Dufy, Marquet, Matisse, Renoir, etc), making this place one of the richest of its type in France. In the pretty ornate piece on the first floor of the Fine Arts Museum are 5,500 sheets that make up the most beautiful assembly of drawings that can be found in the province. Half are French works, a quarter Italian, and the rest are from schools of the North, all ranging from the 15th to the 20th centuries.


Adult: 5 €
Concession: 2.50 € (seniors over 60, Friends of Museums around Besancon, locals of the city's twinned towns, COS Ville de Besançon, Cezam/Fracas card)
Free admission: students, school groups, handicapped, unemployed, Friends of Museums and Libraries of Besancon
Free admission Sundays; reduced admission Saturdays and one hour before closing.

Opening hours

Open every day from 9 :30a to 12 :00p and from 2 :00p to 6 :00p except Tuesdays
Weekends open 9 :30a to 6 :00p
Closed 1 January, 1 May, 1 November and 25 December
Temporary exhibitions open Tuesday nights from 6:00pm to 8:00pm

Museum internal and external photos (3)

Click on the images to enlarge


Tours, activities, and workgroups are offered. Please see website or museum for details.