Quai Victor Hugo
Phone: +33 (0) 2 35 56 78 31

Musée Victor Hugo

This house in Villequier is dedicated to the life of the great French literary figure Victor Hugo (1802-1885), and the Vacquerie family, into which his daughter Léopoldine married. It presents Hugo’s literary and political role, while also paying homage to the great friendship which united the two families.

The house and garden were purchased from the descendants of the Vacquerie family by the Seine Maritime department in 1951, and opened to the public in 1959. The museum evokes both the Hugo and Vacquerie families, united in grief after the tragedy of September 4, 1843, when newly-weds Léopoldine Hugo and Charles Vacquerie were drowned in the Seine, together with two other members of the Vacquerie family.

Substantial donations from the family and various acquisitions have made it possible to preserve the original furniture and arrangement of the rooms. The salon focuses on Auguste Vacquerie (1819-1895) with references to his life as a writer and political journalist. The billiard room is reserved for temporary exhibitions and presentations about Victor Hugo, while the other rooms evoke his wife, his daughter Adèle, his two sons François-Victor and Charles, Léopoldine and her husband Charles Vacquerie, and Juliette Drouet. Manuscripts, original drawings by Victor Hugo and letters are presented in the Cabinet of Drawings.

Permanent Collection

Several themes surrounding Victor Hugo are presented throughout the house. The billiard room is entirely dedicated to Hugo himself, occasionally housing temporary exhibitions. The drawing room describes the political and literary career of Auguste Vacquerie, while the small salon tells the story of Hugo’s exile to Jersey between 1852 and 1870, and the creation of a photography studio there, by Charles Hugo and Auguste Vacquerie.

The pink bedroom and hall examine Victor Hugo’s perception of childhood, through the children’s characters he drew for his own children and grandchildren. The red bedroom, decorated in the rococo style, evokes Hugo’s wife, Adele Foucher, and his mistress, Juliette Drouet, with whom Hugo shared his life for fifty years. The light bedroom and blue bedroom describe Léopoldine Hugo and Charles Vacquerie and their tragic drowning in the Seine, through letters and journals from the time.

The house’s graphic arts cabinet offers the possibility to see original works of great fragility (drawings, manuscripts, correspondence).


Full price admission 3 €
Concessions 1.50 € (large families, senior citizens, groups of 15 or more)
Admission free for under 18s, schoolchildren and students, teachers, curators and ICOM cardholders, COTOREP cardholders and accompanying adult, registered unemployed and RMI recipients.

Individual guided tour 1.50 €, in addition to admission fee
Group guided tour (maximum 30 people) 65 € for one hour, 90 € for 75 minute-2hour tour, in addition to concession admission fee

School group rates: from 15 € to 30 € according to level and chosen activities.

Opening hours

Open daily from 10am to 12.30pm and from 2pm to 5.30pm.
Closed on Tuesdays, Sunday mornings.
Open until 6pm from 1st April to 30th September.
Closed on January 1, May 1, November 1, November 11 and December 25.

Getting there

From Rouen, take the CNA bus in the direction of Canteleu/Duclair, or by car, take the A13, exit Bourg-Achard and then in the direction of Caudebec en Caux.


The ground floor and gardens are accessible to disabled visitors.

Museum internal and external photos (5)

Click on the images to enlarge


General or thematic tours of the house and temporary exhibitions available in French, English, Italian and German.
Please call the visitors’ service on 02 35 15 69 11 for information and reservations.


Holiday activities for children are organised, including workshops, discovery tours and classes. Please phone 02 35 15 69 11 for information and reservations, or email


General or thematic tours of the house and temporary exhibitions available in French, English, Italian and German.
Please call the visitors’ service on 02 35 15 69 11 for information and reservations.


The “billet passeport