C/ Avda. Irmandiños s/n

Phone: 0034 981 336 027
Fax: 0034 981 336 076
Website: http://www.museonavalmadr

Museo Naval De Ferrol

A scarcity of means and not being able to find an adequate location were the causes for the fact that a considerable amount of time passed before Museums of the Maritime Zone would become a reality.

From 1970 onwards the collection and cataloguing of objects dispersed across the region began in Ferrol, an important impulse to the installation of the Museum being the recovery of the remains of the frigate Magdalena.

It can be said that the Museo de Ferrol project began at the beginning of the 1970s although it was officially inaugurated on the 5th March 1986.

The Museum is a centre where special objects belonging to the Armada are kept, preserved and exhibited with the aim of showing and making known the history and culture of the navy as well as encouraging interest in the navy.

The building which houses the Museum and library is the old prisoner section known as San Campio. It was Julián Sánchez Bort who was in charge of the Project to transform the building in 1765. It then became a headquarters that formed an integral part of a greater project for a naval base.

Permanent Collection

The Naval Library is in the same building as the Museum which is undergoing changes in order to incorporate the National Exhibition of Naval Construction. This exhibition will be shown across the first two floors of the Herrerias building built in 1781. The architecture of the recently restored building is similar to that of an 18th century industrial ship. Once completed, it will form part of the Museo Naval as an additional room.


Entrance is free.

Opening hours

Mondays to Fridays 09:30 to 13:30
Saturdays and public holidays 10:30 to 13:30
Closed to the public on Mondays

Getting there

Centro “Herrerías

Museum internal and external photos (4)

Click on the images to enlarge