The creation of the Museo Naval de San Fernando dates back to the 28th September 1792 when, reigning Charles IV and his Minister for the Navy Antonio Vald√©s, ordered the establishment of the new museum in the town of San Carlos. A series of bellicose and political upheavals in the middle of the following century delayed its inauguration to 1843 during the reign of Isabel II and with its headquarters now in Madrid.
The Museum is located in the town of San Carlos in the principal Town Council and Naval College building, now a school for deputy officers. It was inaugurated as Museum in its present headquarters on the 27th March 1992 and visited by Their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain on the 6th July 1994.
The building itself, of a neoclassical style with some distinguishing characteristics, was completed in 1798. The rotunda, a circular patio capped with a glass roof supported by eight columns reached by two spiral staircases, all of which is decorated with 18th century Delfi tiles, is worth noting.
The Museo Naval de San Fernando, a cultural entity administered by the state, is a peripheral Museum of the central Museo Naval de Madrid (see also Museo Naval de Madrid, Archivo-Museo "Don