Museo Nazionale Di Capodimonte
The Museum and National Galleries of Capodimonte opened to the public on 5 May 1957 in the royal palace of the Bourbons. This was the new venue for the collections of medieval and modern art, brought here from the National Museum of Naples. The artistic treasures exhibited here comprise the greater part of the celebrated Farnese collection which was transferred to Naples from Parma, Piacenza and Rome in the middle of the 18th century. The treasure trove also includes the collections formed by the Bourbons in the 18th and 19th centuries, the paintings acquired as a result of the suppression of the monasteries and transfers from churches in the city, and acquisitions and donations effected since the Unification of Italy.
The cause of finding a more adequate venue for these collections had long been championed by illustrious figures in Neapolitan culture, but the definitive decision was only reached after the Second World War. It was Bruno Molajoli, Soprintendente of the Art galleries and works in Campania, who secured a consensus on the royal palace of Capodimonte, albeit in the face of numerous reservations. There was in fact a cogent precedent for the decision, since from the mid-18th century through to 1799 the austere building standing in its hilltop park had housed the Farnese and Bourbon collections on its piano nobile, the first and only museum open to visitors in eighteenth century Naples. From the turn of the century and up until the arrival of the Savoia dynasty in 1861 it was used exclusively by the court. Thereafter, with the Dukes of Aosta in residence, the piano nobile was once again laid out in accordance with museographic criteria with sculpt...
[ Read all ]
The permanent collection of the Museum of Capodimonte grew out of the complex historical, artistic and cultural events that characterised the whole territory of the South of Italy from the end of the 13th century through to the end of the 20th century.
The original core is the prestigious Farnese collection, progressively integrated by the acquisitions made first under the Borbone and Savoia dynasties and then in the 150 years that have elapsed since the Unification of Italy. The various collections are completed by a section featuring works of contemporary art created specifically for the museum: Capodimonte is unique amongst European museums for its combination of old masters and the most recent artistic exploits.
The museumÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s layout, stretching over three floors and occupying more than 110 rooms, enables visitors to grasp the way the permanent collection has built up. You begin from the piano nobile with the Galleria Farnese and the Appartamento Reale, followed by the second floor with the section of the arts in Naples, and then come to the third floor with the collections of 19th century paintings and contemporary art.
full price 7,50, after 14.00 6,50
reduced 3,25 for EU citizens aged 18 - 24 and teachers employed in the EU;
free for EU citizens aged under 18 and over 65, plus other concessions
Advanced booking *
848.800.288 or +39.06.39967050 from abroad and cell phones
Monday-Saturday 9-13.30 and 14.30-17
Entrance for individuals 1,50; groups 20,00; school parties 5,00
information, ticket office, cloakroom, education, audio guides, bookshop, cafÃƒÂ©
times: by arrangement
languages: Italian, English, French, Spanish, German
participants: max 25
duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
booking obligatory 848.800.288
languages: Italian, English
duration: 1 hour 10 minutes
cost 4,00; 2,50 for Campania Artecard holders
this site is part of the Campania Artecard circuit
Open six days a week from 8.30 to 19.30.
Closed on Wednesdays.
The ticket office closes one hour and half earlier
Opening hoursfrom the 17th of dicember to the 6th of january:
weekdays 10-19. Sunday 8.30-19.30.
On the 26th of dicember 8.30-19.30.
24th, 25th e 31st of dicember 8.30-14.00
1st of january 14.00-19.30
From the highway
tangenziale (ringroad) exit Capodimonte
Underground from the railwaystation:
- line 2 direction Pozzuoli, get off at Cavour and
take bus from piazza Museo 178 / M2 / 201
From the airport
Alibus to piazza Municipio then bus C63
Museum internal and external photos (5)
Click on the images to enlarge