Place de le RĂ©publique

Phone: +33 3 20 06 78 00
Fax: +33 3 20 06 78 15

Palais Des Beaux-Arts De Lille

The Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille houses one of the most important museum collections in France. Within this sumptuous late nineteenth century building, designed between 1889 and 1892 by Parisian architects Berard and Delmas, and completely renovated between 1991 and 1997, a prestigious collection of painting, sculpture, drawings and ceramics is presented.
In 1990, architects Ibos and Vitart were selected for their proposal of opening a museum which allowed for an extension of the present building while respecting its nineteenth century architecture. The extension and renovation works, which increased the building’s surface from 15 000m2 to 22 000m2, allowed for the basement space to house the Middle Ages and Renaissance collections. In addition, space for temporary exhibitions, an auditorium, a library and an education center was created. A garden links together the extension and the ancient building, the latter housing the museum the boutique, and the sculpture and ceramic galleries. The museum also houses a fine cabinet of drawing, including 30 by Raphael.

 Permanent Collection Highlights (1)

 Click on the images to enlarge

Permanent Collection

On the first floor of the museum, ten rooms house over 650 paintings, organised by school: Flemish, dutch, Spanish, Italian, French. This world-renowned collection traces a complete view into European art of the sixteenth to the twentieth century, with two particular elements to note: the Flemish collection, by Rubens and his students, and the collection of nineteenth century French painting including works by David, Delacroix, GĂ©ricault, Corot and Courbet.
Many of the works on display were restored during the museum’s period of closure, allowing them to be presented here in all their original beauty.
Amongst the 2000 paintings in the museum’s collection are some which are considered to have changed the course of French painting: Rubens’ Descent from the Cross, David’s Belisaire, considered the first neo-classical painting, Gustave Courbet’s After Dinner at Ornans, realist manifestation created against the romantic current, and Puvis de Chavannes’ Sleep, inspiration for Picasso’s blue period forty years later.

The museum’s Cabinet of drawings contains 4 000 items, including 30 drawings by Raphael and 300 sixteenth century Italian drawings which attract art historians from around the world.

Since 1998, the museum has had regular temporary exhibitions, recently including Goya, Berthe Morisot, and Rubens, these contributing to the recognition of the museum on an international scale. The Palais des Beaux Arts de Lille receives, each year, several thousand visitors.


Philippe de Champaigne, (1602-1674)
Entre Politique et dévotion

27 April 2007 - 15 August 2007
As the first international retrospective dedicated to Philippe de Champaigne, the exhibition captures the spiritual dynamic which characterises the work of this French painter of Flemish origins, following his encounter with Jansenism. Philippe de Champaigne is, along with his contemporary Nicolas Poussin, a unique figure in French painting. His work represents the most accomplished expression of French classicism and was significant in the evolution of seventeenth century painting.
Accomplished portrait and landscape artist, Philippe de Chanpaigne grasps the essence of things at their most profound roots, giving his paintings a sense of permanence, a mediative function free of all psychological interpretation and contingence.
Entry to exhibition 7.50 euros / 6.50 euros concessions

Exhibitions (2)

Click on the images to enlarge



Exhibtion only 7.50 euros full price / 6.50 euros concessions
Exhibition and permanent collection 10 euros full price / 7 euros concessions

Guided tours 4 euros, plus entry
Free entry to all public on the first Sunday of each month

Opening hours

Open every day except Tuesday.
Monday 2pm - 6pm
Wednesday - Sunday 10am - 6pm

Closed 1 January, 1 May, 14 July, the first weekend of September, 1 November and 25 December


The Palais des Beaux Arts contains a library, auditorium, restaurant facilities, bookshop and boutique, as well as providing activities and tours for groups, adults, children and disabled visitors.

Full program of guided tours, lectures, workshops, concerts and other events available at the information desk.

Museum internal and external photos (2)

Click on the images to enlarge


Guided tours and workshops available by reservation. Please phone 03 20 06 78 17 for details.


Tours available by reservation on 03 20 06 78 17. The museum provides educative packs and reading material to school groups.


Group workshops available by reservation. Please phone 03 20 06 78 17 for details.

Guided tours for 13-25 year olds on Wednesdays at 2.30pm, free entry.
Guided tours for 6-12 year olds on Wednesdays at 4.30pm, free entry.


General guided tours of the museum take place every Saturday at 3.15pm.

Themed visits focusing on one of the museum’s departments take place on Mondays at 2.30pm.