San Telmo Museum, The Municipal Museum of San SebastiĆ”n, was founded in 1902, although since 1932 it has been housed in the former Dominican convent of San Telmo, built mid 16th Century. Part of the convent was declared a National Monument in 1913.
The City Council turned it into a Municipal Museum in 1932, when it was refurbished by the architects Juan Alday and Francisco Urcola, who built the neo-Renaissance faĆ§ade and other rooms.
The Museum comprises the following section: Archaeology, Fine Arts, Ethnography and History. The collection of arms and discoid steles, amongst others, are of outstanding quality.
The museum is now closed because of the rehabilitation and enlargement project's works, and will reopen in 2010 as a museum about the basque society.