Copenhagen K


Kronprinsessegade 30-32

Phone: +45 33 73 49 49
Fax: +45 33 73 49 48

The David Collection

Following the Copenhagen Fire of 1795 the king granted the city a strip of land which had been part of the Rosenborg Gardens. It was on this land that Kronprinsessegade 30 was built in the years 1806-07 together with other houses in the street.

The building was constructed in the prevailing Neo-Classical style for captain J.C. Krieger by his brother-in-law, the city surveyor, J.H. Rawert. The plan is that of the other houses in Kronprinsessegade: the characteristic L-shape consisting of three rooms facing the street, the dining room in the corner of each floor - where the front building meets the side building - together with a series of smaller rooms in the latter section. The side building is further extended by means of a side annex of five storeys which originally included the kitchens and servants’ quarters.

C.L. David’s great-grandfather, the merchant, Joseph Nathan David, lived with his family in the house from 1810 until his death in 1830. C.L. David himself acquired the property in 1918 and initially lived on the second floor while the ground floor and first floor were rented out.

 Permanent Collection Highlights (4)

 Click on the images to enlarge

Permanent Collection

The David Collection closed on May 1st 2006, but will re-open in May 2009, welcoming you a renovated, rearranged, and hopefully recognisable museum.

The new and improved museum will have an Islamic collection that has doubled in size and a European collection which is more compact as the area has been reduced. A part of C.L. David’s own collection of contemporary art from the 20th century will be exhibited with works among others by the Danish painters Wilhelm Hammershøi and J.F. Willumsen.

About the David Collection

The David Collection was founded by Christian Ludvig David (1878-1960), a barrister of the Danish High Court.

The works of fine and applied art from the 18th century, which make up the nucleus of the collection, were acquired by the founder himself. In addition, he assembled a small group of works of art from the Islamic world and a collection of Danish art from the first half of the 20th century.

On December 12th 1945, the collection and the building, which houses it, became the independent institution, the C. L. David Foundation and Collection. The actual opening was not until 1948, partly because David did not vacate the second floor until 1946, partly because the architect Ole Wanscher had to furnish a silver room on the same floor. In 1960, on the death of the founder, the Foundation became the sole heir to his fortune.

Since 1960, the exhibition space of the museum has increased significantly. The collections have continued to expand, particularly that of Islamic art.


During its transformation parts of the collection is to be seen here:

'Davids Samling gæster Koldinghus' [The David Collection visiting Koldinghus]
* Museet pĂĄ Koldinghus, Kolding, Denmark
July 15, 2006 – ultimo 2007.
Some examples of the Danish silver from the David Collection.

'The Song of the World - The Art of Safavid Iran, 1501–1736'
* Louvre, Paris, France
October 5, 2007 – January 7, 2008.

'For The Priviledged Few - Islamic Miniature Painting from The David Collection'
Louisiana, Humlebæk, Denmark
October 9, 2007 to January 1, 2008.

Opening hours

The David Collection is closed for visitors
May 1, 2006 to May 2009.

The webpage is also under reconstruction


Shop: Sale of the museum's own publications, posters and postcards.

Posters DKr 40.- each and postcards DKr 5.- each + possible postage & packing.

For catalogues and books please see Publications:

Ordering: The David Collection accepts orders in writing (e-mail, fax or letter) and by telephone:
The David Collection
30-32 Kronprinsessegade
DK - 1306 Copenhagen K.
Tel.: +45 33 73 49 49
Fax: +45 33 73 49 48

Postage and packing
When ordering the postage is dependent on weight and is calculated according to Post Danmark's current prices. By shipping outside of Denmark a packing fee of D.Kr. 25 as well as a bank fee of D.Kr. 30 will be added to the invoice. Unless otherwise stated the order will be send by surface mail.
The museum is unfortunately not able to accept payment by Dankort or credit cards.

Museum internal and external photos (2)

Click on the images to enlarge