Campo San Samuele, 3231
+39 (0)41 523 16 80
+39 (0)41 528 62 18
The Palazzo Grassi
The architecture of Palazzo Grass is attributed to Giorgio Massari (1687 - 1766) who was at that period terminating Ca' Rezzonico on the opposite side of the Grand Canal. Prior to this, he had built the large church of the Gesuati on the Zattere, and that of the Pietra on the riva degli Schiavoni. He was also responsible for the facade of the Accademia museum.
The Grassi family, origonally from Chioggia, had bought a patch of land in a magnificent location. It's trapezoidal form offered the added advantage of providing a long facade on the canal. The precise circumstances concerning the building of the palace are little - known. It is supposed that work began in 1740, or more probably 1748, for which date a text mentions excavation work and the preparation of foundations. It was probably finished by 1758 or, more probabl, in 1772, and therefore after Massari's death in 1766. This was the last palace to be erected in Venice before the fall of the republic.
29th April - 1st October 2006
"WHERE ARE WE GOING?":
Selections from the Francois Pinault collection
The exhibition focuses on complex questions concerning the cultural environment in which the movement developed. It also studies the remarkable works of art resulting from the movement and the artists who produced them.
Approximately 250 works, including paintings, sculptures, and graphic works, are on display at the Palazzo. These works come from some fifty museums as well as public and private collections in seven countries: Australia, Austria, Germany, Israel, Spain, Switzerland, and the United States.
The countries that have made the greatest contribution to the exhibition by lending works in their possession are Germany (loans from 21 museums and 5 private collectors) and the United States (loans from 7 museums and 3 private collectors).
Obtaining loans for the exhibition was not easy in view of their rarity and fragility and they have been insured for a total of 250 billion lire (US$ 147,000,000).
The artists with the largest numbers of paintings on display at the exhibition include Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Max Beckmann, and Oskar Kokoschka.
The exhibition, occupying 25 rooms of the eighteenth-century Palazzo Grassi, recreates the atmosphere of the Expressionist period through multiple projections, music and historical reconstructions.
Essentially the exhibition aims to give an overview of the history and cultural background of German Expressionism and to analyse this in conjunction with the society in which it developed. It intends to illustrate the relationship between the main events in Europe from 1909 to 1923 and the works of artists who were the exponents of Expressionism in Germany.
The exhibition is divided into th...+ [ Read all ]
From December 06 2006 to March 11 2007
Picasso Exhibit in Venice at Palazzo Grassi
The Venice exhibition "Picasso, la Joie de Vivre, 1945-1948" features a selection of about 200 works by Picasso: paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, and ceramics. The show is curated by Jean-Louis Andral, director of the Picasso Museum in Antibes. In addition to the approximately one hundred masterpieces on loan from museum collections, numerous works come from private and public collections.
The exhibition revisits the post-war years from 1945 to 1948, the period in which Picasso returned to the Cote d'Azur following the Nazi occupation. The artist stayed frequently in Cannes and Antibes. His relationship with FranÃ§oise Gilot, with whom he had two children, Claude and Paloma, dates back to this period.
One of the happiest periods in the life of Pablo Picasso, during these years the Spanish artist explored the great themes of Mediterranean mythology. Influenced by his contact with the pottery workshops in nearby Vallauris, Picasso took up ceramics, exploring the use of new, innovative procedures for reproduction, such as plaster matrixes.
The theme of Mediterranean mythology is most eloquently represented in the work "La Joie de Vivre," for which the exhibition is named. Cast in October 1946, La Joie de Vivre is the emblematic work of the Antibes period. A lyrical piece, it is infused with the light and colors of the Mediterranean coast.
Full rate: 10 euros
Reduced rate: 6 euros
Palazzo Grassi is closed from March 12th to May 4th 2007 included because of the preparation of the next exhibition "Sequence 1 : Painting and Sculpture in the Francois Pinault Collection.
San Samuele (line 82)or Sant Angelo (line 1)
Museum internal and external photos (1)
Click on the images to enlarge