The Railroad Museum
The Indian River County Historical Society is chartered to preserve, restore and maintain in a cooperative effort the historical resources of the county and state.
Vero Beach Train Station
The trains no longer stop in Vero Beach, but the first railway station that has served the city through pioneer times, boom and depression, and two world wars, is still here.
Before the station was established in 1903, the railroad stop was known as Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) mile marker 350, and the small community of Vero was part of Brevard County. In 1916 when the stationâ€™s passenger area was enlarged, the community was part of St. Lucie County. By 1919, the Town of Vero was incorporated, and 1925 â€śBeachâ€ť was added to the Townâ€™s name and a new county, Indian River County, was formed from northern St. Lucie County.
In 1936 the stationâ€™s passenger area was again updated with the travelers able to enjoy the added comfort of indoor plumbing. During the war years of the 1940s, the station saw a bustle of activities as freight and troops came to the naval air station in Vero Beach. Through the renewed growth of the 1950s and 1960s, the Vero Beach railroad station played its part. In 1968, following bitter labor disputes, the passenger service was discontinued along the entire Florida East Coat Railway line. The shipment of the world famous Indian River citrus kept the freight service operating until 1979 when all freight service was discontinued, and the station was left abandoned along the tracks
Purchased from the FEC by the Indian River County Historical Society in September 1984 for $1.00, the station was moved one-half mile north to a city-owned parcel of land. This parcel, originally purchased in 1924 for relocation and expansion of the station, had lay vacant for sixty years until December 1984 when the stat...+ [ Read all ]
Marian Fell Library
The Fellsmere Library Association was organized as a Womanâ€™s Club in 1914 (38 members) and federated in 1915 (91 members). At the time, Fellsmere was part of St. Lucie County and in 1925 became part of Indian River County. The first library books were shelved in the corner of the editorial office of the Fellsmere Tribune. Book counts were less than 50 books (1914) and 1300 reported by November 1915.
The Fellsmere Farms Company gave the Association two city lots in 1915 and Miss Marian Fell, daughter of the founder of the town, donated royalties from her translations of Russian/English stories for the construction of the library. This small bungalow building was dedicated on Saturday, May 1, 1915, with â€śthe large crowd spilling over to the adjoining tennis club groundsâ€ť. Marian Fell (Mrs. P.O. Vans Agnew) and a number of officials opened the new building.
The Library Association and the Library building soon became a hub of activity in this isolated frontier town. Cultural and social functions including poetry, music, and receptions were scheduled in the building and on the grounds. A kitchen and bathroom were added in the late 1920s and early 1940s. These additions were attached to the earlier structure and did not alter the original building. Additional lots were also given until almost the entire block between New York and Wyoming Avenues belonged to the Library Association.
The Library building served not only as a repository of books and reference materials, but as a community center. The Library Association met regularly to carry on the work of a library and also services for the community. Some of the activities incl...+ [ Read all ]
A native of Sweden, Axel Hallstrom left his homeland in 1893, first settling in Berlin and London before immigrating to the United States. Glowing reports from fellow Scandinavians in the Oslo and Viking (the latter now Indrio) settlements inspired him to try his hand at agriculture in the southern United States. In 1904 he moved his family to Oslo, acquired land, and planted 100,000 pineapple plants. In 1915, Hallstrom initiated construction of a brick dwelling there, completing it in 1923. The impressive two-story brick house was home to his daughter, Ruth Hallstrom, until her death in 1999. The home was bequeathed to the Indian River County Historical Society and is currently under renovation, set to open to the public in the next few years.
Monday - Friday
10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
2336 Fourteenth Avenue, Vero Beach, 32960
Museum internal and external photos (1)
Click on the images to enlarge